THE COLLEGE OF WILLIAM AND MARY ALUMNI HOUSE
"Keeping the Bright House, the Bright House.”
Originally constructed on what was considered the “outskirts of town” this 1860’s structure is thought to be one of a handful of buildings on the College’s campus to have witnessed a Civil War battle in Williamsburg. The formerly named Bright House has seen several uses since it was first constructed (a fraternity house, faculty housing, and apartments), but has served as the Alumni House since 1972.
This 3-story, 35,000 SF addition and renovation honors the existing tradition of maintaining, and now matching, the original structure’s architectural features on the exterior, while reshaping the interior to better serve the W&M Alumni population. Featuring a new grand ballroom, catering kitchen, reception spaces, conference rooms, and administrative offices. The project scope also includes a bronze inlay cypher at the entry circle and associated road and parking, multiple hardscaped plazas, garden, terrace, and extensive landscaping.
Architects: Glave & Holmes | Owner: College of William and Mary | Location: Williamsburg, VA